Top 10 Tips to Save Energy in Your Home
The best ways you can save on your home electric bill throughout the year.
10. Change habits to conserve energy, like turning off the lights when you leave a room.
9. Understand how your home uses energy.
- 46% goes to heating and cooling
- 12% goes to lighting
8. Insulate your house.
7. Weatherize your house. Seal leaks with:
- Caulk between materials that DON’T move, like around the chimney and outdoor overhangs.
- Weather stripping around pieces that DO move, like windows and doors.
6. Reduce leaks in ducts.
5. Reduce heating usage in the winter.
- Each degree above 68°F can add 3% to the amount of energy needed for heating.
4. Reduce air conditioning usage in the summer.
- Setting the thermostat higher will use less energy.
3. Improve the efficiency of your HVAC system.
- Replace air filters every month.
- Upgrade your system - Higher efficiency central air conditioners use about 14% less energy. Receive a $100 - $600 rebate on a new energy-efficient air conditioner or heat pump and save about $150 in energy costs.
2. Recycle your refrigerator.
- Older refrigerators use 2 to 3 times more energy than newer models.
- We’ll pick up your fridge or freezer for FREE, send you a $35 check and you’ll save up to $150 in energy costs. Schedule a pick-up.
1. Change to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
- CFLs use 75% less energy and last 10 times longer.
- Discounted CFLs are available at area retailers in the Miami Valley. Save up to $30 in energy costs over the life of each bulb.