⚠️ Services, like the Retro-Commissioning (RCx) Program, that are not urgent or time-sensitive, but require in-person customer contact by DP&L employees, will be suspended as a precaution to avoid spread of the COVID-19 virus. If you already have an appointment, you will be contacted to reschedule. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Retro-commissioning (RCx) is a process by which existing building systems are optimized in order to perform as efficiently and effectively as possible. Most often system operating parameters are adjusted for energy-consuming core building equipment such as mechanical systems, digital controls and lighting.
DP&L’s RCx rebate is designed to help customers understand opportunities to save energy costs within their facility by co-funding a comprehensive study, which offers valuable recommendations for building systems improvement.
How it Works
The RCx offering incentivizes both customers and qualified Study Providers:
- DP&L customers can earn $0.04 – $0.08 per kWh saved by implementing measures identified during the RCx Study.
- Qualified study providers can earn up to 80% of the total study cost in DP&L incentives.
- Incentives are geared toward facilities with low-cost or no-cost energy saving opportunities that can be implemented in a short time period and will produce a rapid return on investment.
- Facilities with the ability to manage and manipulate the building systems with an integrated control system are prime candidates.
- Buildings already considered "high performing" may not provide savings opportunities significant enough to receive approval to participate, which is based upon a cost-benefit analysis performed on a project-by-project basis.
Each study provider must meet minimum qualifications to participate. DP&L reviews the application for each study provider carefully to ensure they meet required criteria.
How to Start
- Step 1 - Application: You or your selected study provider submit the RCx application. Applications must include details such as the RCx cost and a savings goal.
- Step 2 - Application Approval: Once your application is approved, you will receive a formal notification of approval.
- Step 3 - RetroCx Study: The study provider will conduct an on-site investigation, identify energy saving opportunities, and prepare the RCx Study Report for DP&L review and approval. The customer pays the study provider 20% of the study cost at this time.
- Step 4 - Study Review and Measure Selection: Following DP&L's approval of the study, the study provider will schedule a meeting with you and DP&L to identify measures for implementation.
- Step 5 - Implementation: Measure implementation must occur within 4 to 12 weeks of the study review meeting and is led by you (the customer) and your preferred team. Following implementation, DP&L will issue a rebate to the study provider for 60% of the cost of the study.
- Step 6 - Measurement and Verification: DP&L will confirm implementation and quantify energy performance in comparison to initial targets.
- Step 7 - Post Implementation: You will receive a post-implementation rebate from DP&L for $0.04 to $0.08 per kWh based upon actual realized savings and the amount of time required for measure implementation, as determined during measurement and verification (step 6). DP&L then issues payment to the study provider for the remaining balance (up to 20%) of the study cost.