In 2011 we celebrated a century of service to our customers in the Miami Valley.
We believe in our community and the many things our region has to offer. Together we can look to the future with anticipation and a feeling of pride. Because like you, we’re working to provide a brighter future for our next generation. With DP&L, tomorrow starts today.
Lighting the Way for 100 Years Timeline
- 1883 Electric service first comes to Dayton with a power plant and electric street lighting operated by the Dayton Electric Light Company.
- 1911The Hills and Dales Railway Company purchases two competing Dayton utilities, bringing all of Dayton’s electric service under one roof. It is renamed the Dayton Power and Light Company.
- 1925DP&L becomes a full-service gas, electric, steam and water utility through its acquisition of the Dayton Gas Company, which complements its 1914 purchase of the Wilmington Water Company.
- 1946Ground is broken on the O.H. Hutchings Station in Miamisburg.
- 1952DP&L debuts the nation’s first fluorescent street lighting in Oakwood.
- 1960sThe J.M. Stuart Station generation plant was built.
- 1971DP&L installs the first coal-dust collection equipment in the nation, greatly reducing emissions from its power plants.
- 1984The Stuart plant is the first in the country to use diffusion alloy coatings on its turbine blades to improve efficiency.
- 1990sThe Way to Go® energy programs helped customers save money and energy – thanks to the help of Lucky the Dog.
- 2010The 1.1 Megawatt Yankee Solar Array – at the time of its completion the largest solar power facility in Southwestern Ohio – annually generates the equivalent to what is needed to power 150 homes in a year.