Thank you for your interest in partnering with the Dayton Power & Light Foundation and Dayton Power & Light Company. Each year we receive hundreds of applications and proposals from worthy organizations. We are only able to fund a portion of those received.
We have developed an online application to reduce the amount of paper for the application process, which aligns with our commitment to protect the environment.
Please review the information below before you begin your contribution application.
How the DP&L Foundation and DP&L decide to make a grant or contribution to an organization
DP&L Foundation Charitable Contribution Principles
The following are the key principles the Board uses when evaluating grant applications. While there is no specific formula, we plan to develop a scoring matrix to assist decision makers.
- Improving the quality of life for our community – is defined in many ways and each organization or event must describe how its efforts contribute to improving the quality of life for our communities. Contributions are directed to local organizations for local needs.
- Enhancing the sustainability of the organization – each time DPL supports an organization or event our goal is for it to be more sustainable regardless of any ongoing financial commitment. Applicants must address this issue.
- Engaging DPL people in partner organizations – Many of our people volunteer for and support DPL partner organizations. The number of DPL people serving on your board or who volunteer in other capacities will be tracked.
Grant reports for 2015 recipients are due August 31, 2016.
Application deadline for 2016 DP&L Foundation grants is October 1, 2016.
DP&L Corporate Contribution Principles
The following are the key principles we will use when evaluating corporate sponsorship applications.
- Benefiting the community with long-term effects – Does the program or organization have long-term impacts, particularly those that make a community stronger economically, socially or environmentally?
- Emphasizing programs and supporting activities sustainable in nature – Does the program/event utilize training, education, and capacity-building to make a longer-term positive impact?
- Employee engagement – Does the non-profit organization encourage employees to serve on boards and volunteer with the organization?
Corporate contribution requests are reviewed on a monthly basis.
Where Organizations are Eligible for a DP&L Contribution
The map below shows the geographic area where our grants and contributions are concentrated. The area includes our 24-county service territory and a few counties around our power plants located along the Ohio River.
Requesting organizations must also fit our philosophy of giving and meet our key principles.
The Overall Philosophy of DP&L Foundation Grants and DP&L Corporate Contributions
The DP&L Foundation and DP&L are committed to emphasizing programs and supporting activities that are sustainable, rather than making financial donations to a general operations fund or an event providing short-term benefits for a limited number of people.
We do NOT fund:
- Organizations without 501(c)3 public charity status from the IRS or classified as private foundations
- Organizations that discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, age, veteran status or any federal, state or local laws
- National or state health organizations
- Organizations that only benefit a few people
- Organizations raising money for second-party giving to a non-profit
- Travel funds for tours, expeditions or trips
- School yearbook and/or calendar ads
- School or civic sports teams, events or supplies (t-shirts, etc.)
Before Getting Started with the Online Form
NOTE: You must complete the application and click submit prior to closing your browser or it will not be saved. You must submit an electronic copy of the following along with your application:
- List organization’s Board of Directors.
- Program or project budget or the organization’s current year budget.
- IRS Letter of Determination (must have a 501(c)3 status).
- W-9 form, required only for Corporate Community Contributions.
- Organization’s most recent audited financial statements or most recently filed Form 990 (if your organization’s financials are only available in hard copy or too large to submit as a part of the form, it may be submitted separately).
Individual file sizes must not exceed 2MB, if they do please send those files in a separate email to DPL Community Relations and include your organization's name in the subject line of the email.
Click here for online form.