When you turn on your lights or run your dishwasher, you’re using electricity delivered by your local electric utility company. DP&L is your local electric utility in the Miami Valley. Before 2001, all aspects of your electric service were taken care of by DP&L. This included the generating of electricity at power plants and the delivery of electric service to your home.
What’s Different Now?
In 2001, laws changed in Ohio and the generation of electricity was deregulated. Now, you can choose which company supplies the generation of your electricity. There are several generation suppliers of electricity. No matter which company you choose to supply the generation of your electricity, DP&L will continue to deliver the service to your home or business, because the delivery of electricity remains regulated. DP&L will continue to maintain and repair the poles and wires in your area and if your power should go out, you will continue to call DP&L. Also, DP&L will continue to read your meter monthly.
- Electric Generation Supplier: This is the company that supplies the generation of your electricity. Typically people associate these companies with the electric power plants. There are many generation suppliers.
- Local Electric Utility: This is the company that delivers the electricity to your home or business. Most people associate the electric poles, wires and utility trucks with their electric utility. In the Miami Valley, DP&L is the local electric utility.
Why is Electric Choice important to me?
Electric Choice gives you the ability to choose who supplies the generation of your electricity. Just like shopping different stores for your light bulbs or your kitchen appliances, you can shop for your electric generation supplier. You may find the cost of your electricity is lower if you buy it from certain suppliers. Or, you may find some suppliers offer add-on services that you want to buy. These services can vary depending on your usage and needs.
You are encouraged to compare suppliers before making a decision.
Do I have to shop for a new Electric Generation Supplier?
No, you can continue to purchase the supply of your electricity through DP&L's standard offer rate. Or, you can change to a different supplier. It is your choice. Your supplier cannot be switched without your permission. Unauthorized switching is called “slamming” and it is illegal. If your service has been switched without your authorization, call the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) at 800-686-7826.
If you do decide you want to shop for an alternate, electric generation supplier, follow the steps suggested on the Comparing Electric Generation Suppliers page, so you can make an informed choice that is right for you.
Manage Electric Choice Options
DP&L offers several tools to make it easy to manage your electric choice account options, including:
- View your current supplier
- Cancel enrollment with a new supplier if you're in the 7 day rescission window
- Drop a supplier and return to DP&L's standard offer rate
- Remove yourself from the supplier contact list, or verify you have already been removed
To access these tools, sign into MyDP&L by selecting the button below. Once you're logged in you'll see the electric choice options available for your account. Or, give us a call at 800-433-8500 to hear your options over the phone. Select 4 for Electric Choice.