When severe weather is in the forecast, DP&L schedules extra crews and dispatchers to do whatever it takes to minimize the risk of outages for customers. If the lights go out, our teams work around the clock to restore power as quickly and safely as possible. Customers can also take steps to be prepared for severe weather and possible outages.
Storm Kit & Plan: Have One
Have a storm kit with an emergency radio (battery operated or wind-up), water, non-perishable food, flashlights and a first-aid kit. See our full list of what to have in a storm kit.
For more planning help, check out:
- Ready.gov has resources to help you prepare, plan and stay informed.
- American Red Cross provides tips to help weather a storm and resources to get you through emergencies.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency can help you improve your capability to prepare for, protect against and recover from emergencies.
Plan for Special Medical Needs
If you or someone at your location relies on continuous operation of medical equipment, the following groups can assist with emergency planning.
- Ready.gov has a great information dedicated to extra resources that can help people planning for individuals with special needs.
- Contact your county's Emergency Management Agency if you have additional questions. This organization can point you to local resources that are available during emergencies.
- You may also contact Customer Service at 800-433-8500. We will note it on your account. However, DP&L cannot guarantee you priority restoration, and you still need to be prepared with a back-up plan should an outage occur.
The best protection is to unplug electronics prior to severe storms to prevent damage. Avoid touching electrical cords while lightning is near your home and do not use your "corded" land-line telephone.